Featuring Cocorosco Coconut Oil
Available at Cold Storage Supermarkets, RedMart & Fairprice Online at only $8.80 / 232ml jar & $15.85 / 500ml jar.
CoCorosco Coconut Oil is 100% extra virgin coconut oil extracted from green coconuts in Southeast Asia, which has a more ‘lemak’ fragrance akin to the luscious aroma of “kueh kueh”.
(Makes a 23cm or 24cm cake)
- 213g gula melaka, chopped
- 6 pandan leaves, knotted
- 2 drops pandan paste (optional)
- 120ml coconut milk
- 7 egg yolks
- 70ml Cocorosco extra virgin coconut oil
- 163g cake flour or top flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 7 egg whites
- 46g caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Place gula melaka, pandan leaves, pandan paste and coconut milk in a saucepan.
- Stir over low heat till gula melaka melts.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, then sieve mixture. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 170°C.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and oil until the mixture turns pale.
- Add gula melaka mixture and mix till well blended.
- Add flour and salt and fold in until just combined. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar in a clean bowl till frothy.
- Gradually add sugar and continue beating meringue till just before it reaches stiff peaks (it should curl slightly when you invert the whisk).
- Fold egg whites into yolk mixture in 3 batches. Work quickly but gently till batter is uniformly mixed.
- Bang mixing bowl against tabletop to remove air bubbles. Pour batter into ungreased chiffon tube pan. Smoothen the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 60 min or till cake is puffy, golden-brown and a skewer inserted in the centre emerges clean. Tip: cover the top of the cake with aluminium foil if it browns too quickly (only after cake has risen).
- Remove cake from oven and invert pan immediately onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before unmoulding